About Dr. Espinoza
Dr. Andrey Espinoza, cardiologist, has been providing state of the art cardiovascular care in Hunterdon County since 2004. He arrived from Philadelphia after completing advanced training in a broad spectrum of cardiovascular disease states including carotid and peripheral arterial disease. Read some patient testimonials about Dr. Espinoza.
He is a graduate of the Department of Internal Medicine at the Medical College of Pennsylvania and Hahnemann University Hospitals. He went on to complete a Cardiovascular Diseases fellowship and advanced Interventional Fellowship Training at Drexel University College of Medicine. He was awarded the position of and served as Chief Cardiology Fellow during his training. In that time period he authored and co-authored numerous scientific publications in cardiology.
After arriving in Flemington, Dr. Espinoza pioneered an evolutionary clinical research program incorporating trials both in the pharmaceutical and device arenas.
In 2004, Dr. Espinoza performed the very first carotid artery stenting procedure in a community hospital in New Jersey.
In 2008 he developed and led Hunterdon Medical Center’s heart attack program into the 21st century by adopting strategies to enhance diagnosis, treatment times and advanced access approaches using the radial artery to treat patients to minimize complications, enhance recovery times and reduce mortality. Under his leadership, Hunterdon Medical Center consistently boasted the fastest “Door to Balloon” times (heart attack diagnosis to the first balloon inflation to open the occluded artery) in New Jersey.
In 2015, Dr. Espinoza, working collaboratively with Hunterdon Medical Center’s Emergency Medicine department medical and mobile intensive care unit services, received New Jersey Department of Health approval to administer anti-platelet therapy in MICUs in Hunterdon to treat patients at the point of contact in the field after being diagnosed with a heart attack. (Read nj.com article)
In doing so, HMC became the first hospital system in the United States to offer this groundbreaking approach to STEMI care. In this same year, Dr. Espinoza, collaboratively with Dr. Herman Maeuser, performed the first ever total endovascular stent graft repair of an abdominal aortic aneurysm at HMC.
Dr. Espinoza formerly served as both the medical director and primary angioplasty director of HMC’s cardiac catheterization laboratory.
- Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS)
- Blood Clot
- Heart Attack
- Heart Block
- Heart Diseases
- Heart Failure
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- High Cholesterol
- High Cholesterol (Hypercholesterolemia)
- Unstable Angina
Over the years, he has developed a keen interest and expertise in the areas of cardiovascular genetics, sports cardiology, and cardio-oncology offering these advanced services to his patients to aid in their global treatment plans, allowing for an understanding of overlapping disease states and coordinating care across different specialties caring for the same patient.
Caring and Compassionate Approach
Dr. Espinoza prides himself on a caring and compassionate approach blended with the most advanced technology in medicine to treat his patients. Dr. Espinoza has worked with world renowned research institutes including Duke Clinical, Harvard Clinical and the National Institutes of Health, contributing to the advancement of cardiovascular medicine by contributing to the approvals of new oral anti-thrombotic drugs as alternatives to Coumadin and newer PCSK9 compounds that can dramatically reduce patient cholesterol levels especially when they cannot achieve goals on conventional therapies or cannot tolerate the commonly prescribed drugs, i.e. statins. He was involved in the first ever clinical trial for women evaluating stent grafting for abdominal aortic aneurysmal disease as well as the country’s first ever drug coated balloon trial for treatment of femoral popliteal in-stent restenosis disease.
Certifications and Honors
Dr. Espinoza is board certified in Cardiovascular Disease, Interventional Cardiology, and Endovascular Medicine. He is a scientific manuscript reviewer for the Journal Cardiac Catheterization and Intervention and resides on the Society of Cardiac Angiography and Interventions Carotid Committee. He also is a section member of the American College of Cardiology’s Peripheral Vascular Council and Cardio-Oncology division. He is a fellow of the American College of Cardiology and Fellow of the Society of Cardiac Angiography and Intervention.
- Selected as New Jersey Top Doctor (New Jersey magazine (2011, 2013-2014, 2016)
- Manuscript reviewer for Cardiac Catheterization and Intervention Journal
- Society of Cardiac Angiography and Intervention Carotid Committee
- American College of Cardiology Peripheral Vascular Section committee member
- Former Medical Director of the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, Hunterdon Medical Center
- Former Medical Director Primary Angioplasty program, Hunterdon Medical Center
- Participation in over 50 clinical research trials serving as a site principal investigator involved in contributions leading to the approval of novel oral anti-coagulants, lipid lowering therapies, bioresorbable stent scaffolds, drug coated balloons and more.
American Board of Internal Medicine Certifications
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Interventional Cardiology
American Board of Vascular Medicine
- Endovascular Medicine
- Basic and Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certified
- National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale
- Certification Certified in good clinical practices and human subject protection training for clinical research
- New Jersey State Board of Medical Examiners
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania